Skip To Content

 I forgot my password
You are here:  Students > Financial Aid
Welcome to the Financial Aid Portal.  We are here to help you smoothly navigate the financial aid process.  Should you need our assistance, please contact us.  Our contact information is listed below.
Natasha Bates, Financial Aid Counselor
Laura Burns, Director of Financial Aid
Office Contact:
Phone (315) 364-3289
Fax (315) 364-3445
Wells College                      
Financial Aid Office             
Macmillan 224
170 Main St.                    
Aurora, NY  13026         
College Codes:
FAFSA:  002901
NYS TAP:  1050
Consumer Information: can be found on the Wells College website: 

Special Financial Circumstances

Recognizing that federal legislation is now requiring students and parents to complete their FAFSA with prior, prior year tax information, some students and parents may have a significant change in their financial situation. Please contact the Financial Aid Office directly if your financial situation has changed due to: 
  • Loss of employment/pay reduction/benfits or retirement
  • Unusual medical/dental expenses (must exceed 11% of total family income) or Nursing Home costs not covered by insurance
  • Elementary/Secondary tuition costs for dependent children
  • Unusually high child care costs
In order to be considered for any of the above federal professional judgment circumstances students must complete the verification process. Students and parents (if applicable) will be required to complete the Wells College verification & special circumstances appeal forms in addition to supplying supporting documentation of their financial changes.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant


Federal Teach Grants provide grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.  In exchange for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students.  As a recipient of a TEACH Grant, you must teach for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which you received a TEACH Grant.  For information on this program, please visit the Federal TEACH Grant website:


You are not authorized to use this portlet; It is only available to users in certain roles within the portal.
You are not authorized to use this portlet; It is only available to users in certain roles within the portal.
To be considered for financial aid, you need to complete a FAFSA each year.  For returning students, you will need to complete your renewal aid application electronically at   
FAFSA application filing deadline: May 1, 2018
Verification materials returned to  the financial aid office:   June 1, 2018 
Students who submit their application and required verification documents beyond May 1, 2018 and June 1, 2018 respectively, will have their institutional grant reduced by $1,000.  You must contact the financial aid office to discuss options for an extension of these requirements.
Please note that penalties will apply to late financial aid filers as noted in the January 2018 newsletter sent to your email address. 
Handbook and Important Terms
Glossary of Financial Aid Terms (.doc, 33K)

This glossary of terms can assist you with information that appears on your financial aid award letter. The glossary was developed by the NASFAA Awards Notification Task Force and can be found online at:

Financial Aid Handbook (.pdf, 231K)

The Financial Aid Handbook can assist you with how to apply for financial, types of programs and requirements to maintain your financial aid eligibility and lists important deadline dates.

Financial Aid Newsletter
Financial Aid Newsletter (.pdf, 141K)

This newsletter includes important information on how to apply for financial aid for the upcoming 2018/2019 academic year and appropriate deadline dates. If you need assistance in completing your FAFSA, we are here to help. You can schedule an appointment with our office at

Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print PDF files.
FAFSA Login Changes
How to create an FSA ID (.pdf, 2076K)

New FAFSA filing students will need to create their FSA ID to login their FAFSA's.  Instructions on how to create your FSA ID can be found by clicking this link or by watching the following video

Federal Student Aid has also created a youtube video to assist you with filing your FAFSA:

Verification Forms
2018-2019 Dependent Verification Form (.pdf, 165K)
2018-2019 Independent Student Verification Form (.pdf, 144K)
IRS Data Retrieval Instructions (.png, 865K)

Please review the step-by-step instructions on how to use the FAFSA's IRS Data Retrieval option. This option allows your IRS tax information to be automatically transferred to your FAFSA.

IRS Form 4506T (.pdf, 93K)

Students or parents who file an amended federal tax return cannot use the IRS Data Retrieval process on their FAFSA.  Instead, they must request a tax return transcript and tax account transcript, as the return transcript only contains the original information.  Both documents together will be needed to complete the verification process.  If you choose to order these documents by paper, you must use the IRS Form 4506-T.  If you choose to order these documents online, please visit

IRS Form 4506T-EZ (.pdf, 79K)
Students or parents who are selected for verification and have filed their federal tax return do not use the IRS Data Retrieval process on their FAFSA must request a tax return transcript.  This document will be needed to complete the verification process.  If you choose to order your tax return transcript by paper, you must use the IRS Form 4506T-EZ.  If you choose to order this document online, please visit,,id=232168,00.html?portlet=105.
High School Completion Status Form (.docx, 20K)
Identity & Statement of Education Puropose Form (.docx, 23K)
Federal TEACH Grant
TEACH Grant Fact Sheet (.pdf, 153K)
Learn if you are eligible for a Federal TEACH Grant by reviewing this fact sheet.  Please visit the U.S. Department of Education TEACH Grant webpage to complete your required TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve (ATS) and TEACH Grant entranace counseling at
TEACH Grant Exit Counseling (.pdf, 509K)
Download a copy of the "TEACH Grant Exit Counseling" booklet.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print PDF files.