Winter Break Closing Information
- Student Departure
- The last day of classes is Wednesday, December 5. Finals are December 10 – 13, 2018.
- All students are required to leave campus within 24 hours of their last final exam or academic obligation.
- Hall Closing
- All Wells College residences, including Fairlane, will close at 12:00pm on Friday, December 14, 2018. At this time, all students must vacate their residence hall rooms (residents must leave, but property may stay as long as the resident is returning for the Spring semester).
- Please be on the lookout for a mandatory floor meeting with your RA to go over this information, which will be happening between now and December 7th.
- Staff members will be conducting checks to verify that all residents have left for the break. Please make sure to adhere to this deadline.
- Please note that no residents may stay past this deadline. If you are waiting for a ride and are here close to 12pm, you will be asked to relocate to Faculty Parlors, so your room can be closed by an RA for break.
- The residence facilities will open up again on Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 9:00am.
- Students (besides athletes when approved) will not be allowed into the facilities during the Winter Break period.
- Students needing to be on-campus during the J-term for internship credit, or asking to arrive early for other reasons must complete the application here and be approved to arrive early. Anyone approved for reasons besides internships, international students, or athletics will be charged $50 per night of arriving early.
- Dining Hall / Meals
- The last meal on the meal planned served at the dining hall will be dinner on Thursday, December 13th, 2018. For those leaving Friday, there will be a continental breakfast available in the Pizza 315 area of the dining hall on December 14th, from 8:30am-10:30am.
- The first meal of Spring Semester 2019 will be dinner on Wednesday, January 16, 2019.
- 24 Hour Quiet Hours
- Campus-wide 24-hour quiet hours will be in effect beginning at 9:00pm on Wednesday, December 5, 2018 and ending at 12:00pm on December 14, 2018 in order to maintain a quiet environment for all students to study and sleep. No warnings will be given for violating 24-hour quiet hours.
Please note that 24-hour quiet hours will also apply to Wells College parking lots, smoker’s table, sidewalks and other surrounding areas near residence halls including Fairlane.
- Approved Room Changes
- If a student has been approved to change rooms between Fall and Spring semester, they will receive an email describing their specific room change process. Please make sure to pay attention to your email, and follow the protocol in order to ensure a smooth transition.
- If a student is NOT returning to Wells College for the Spring Semester (going abroad, early graduation, withdraw, transfer), they must completely move out of their space and return their room key to their RA or Campus Safety (if arrangements with your RA cannot be made) by noon on Friday, December 14, 2018. No exceptions.
- If any student has an open space in their residence hall room/apartment, they must make sure that side of the room is clear, in case of a new student moving into that space during the break.
- If a student is remaining in the same room for Spring semester, they are NOT required to move out of their room; they are fine to keep all items in their space.
- Preparing for Winter Break
- All residents will submit their departure information to their Resident Advisors:
- Date and time of last final
- Date and time of departure
- When each resident leaves campus for break, they must sign the check-out sheet located outside their RA’s door.
- Keep track of all tasks to be completed prior to departure:
- Unplug ALL electrical appliances
- Empty, defrost, unplug refrigerator
- Students should remove all food from common area fridges before leaving, so the fridges can be cleaned over break
- Athletes or others returning early may leave food in the fridges as long as they will not go bad while they are away. Please label with your name and return date.
- Leave curtains and/or shades closed
- Empty trash and recyclables
- Remove all perishable food items from the room
- Switch off light
- Close and lock door
If items are not complete, RAs will document the residents and conduct meetings may follow. If perishable food is left in a refrigerator it will be disposed of.
- Each resident must sign the checkout sheet by their RA’s door when they leave, so staff knows you have left.
Residence Life staff members will be entering each residence hall room after residents have vacated to conduct closing checks, verifying that all closing instructions were followed, and to complete a safety inspection. Staff members will not be searching rooms, but will need to document any policy violations or fire hazards that are in plain sight. These checks will begin as rooms are empty, and then final checks will begin at 9am on December 14th. Staff reserves the right to ask residents to leave the room and move to Faculty Parlors if they are just waiting on a ride, so the room can be checked and closed out.
Winter Break is from December 14, 2018 – January 16, 2019
If you need transportation to or from Wells College for Winter Break, please make sure to read the transportation schedule on The Globe, or a summary below.
When making your transportation plans, please try to schedule your flights/buses/trains as close to the scheduled pick-up times as possible. Note that shuttle times listed below are times the shuttle will be LEAVING Wells Campus; therefore, the pick-up times at the airports/bus stations will be different. It takes approximately 45 minutes to get to Ithaca, 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to Syracuse, and 1.5 hours to get to Rochester. Remember that the shuttle will pick up many students at each stop, so to be the most efficient, please try to schedule your tickets to as close to these times as possible.
Departure Dates: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - Friday, December 14, 2018
The following times are when the shuttle leaves Wells College for departures.
Ithaca Bus/Airport, Syracuse Bus/Airport, Rochester Airport
7:30am, 11:30am & 4:30pm
Arrival back from break date: Wednesday, January 16, 2018
The following times are when the shuttle leaves Wells College for arrivals.
Ithaca Bus/Airport, Syracuse Bus/Airport, Rochester Airport
7:30am, 11:30am, 4:30pm & 7:30pm
Please schedule your arrival to these locations as close to the departure time of the shuttle. The shuttle will not be waiting at the airport/bus station for arrivals. It will pick up students that are already at the location and then leave.
Request December Break Transportation
DEADLINE FOR REQUEST SUBMISSIONS IS Friday, December 7th, 2018.
ALL TIMES ABOVE ARE TIMES THE WELLS VAN LEAVES CAMPUS.
Please make your transportation plans early so we can accommodate all those needing a ride. If you have questions, please contact the Transportation Department at email@example.com, or (315) 364 – 3321. If you cannot get in touch with Transportation, please call Wells Campus Safety at 315-364-3229, they are open 24/7 and transportation is not.
Have a Great Winter Break!
If you have questions about Winter Break, please contact your Resident Advisor or contact the Office of Residence Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.